Building a room addition in your home is a great way of creating a space that you desire which can serve you as storage, an additional bedroom or a home office. Getting a permit for room addition is very necessary before you start construction. Whether or not a permit is necessary depends on the type and size of the project.
For a new room addition, you will need to get permits from your city or county building department before you begin. Your contractors will need to connect the electrical system back to the main system in the house, and if the addition includes a bathroom, the contractor will also need to connect the plumbing. All these steps and more need to pass inspections and permits must be pulled.
IMPORTANCE OF OBTAINING A PERMIT
- Permits ensure oversight of your contractor’s work.
- Permits help you avoid unnecessary disturbance in the future from building officials when they request for the work up which could lead you to disclose that you have remodeled without a permit.
- Selling your house in future will be less stressful because the buyer could demand you bring work up to code.
PROCESS OF OBTAINING A PERMIT
The process of obtaining a permit for a room addition by contractors and home owners varies slightly depending on location, and governing authorities. Most home owners need guidance when it comes to obtaining permits for room additions. The process of obtaining permits includes:
- Submitting your request with proof of ownership of the house.
- Paying the applicable upfront fee.
- Waiting for building departments approval.
- Final inspections or certificate of occupancy.
COST OF PERMITS
The cost of a permit for a room additions varies based on the size of the room. You will need to know the cost of the electrical permit, plumbing if you are adding a bathroom, and other permits needed. If you need guidance on where to begin on the permit matter, you can ask your contractor to help and give you advice on how to obtain your permits or you may allow the contractor take care of the permit for you and they will add the cost of the permit to their bill. They will make the process easy and stress free for you since they have much experience in obtaining permits