Building a room addition into your home is a way of creating space that you desire which can serve you as storage, additional bedroom and home office. Getting a permit for room addition is very necessary before you start construction whether or not a permit depends on the work involved in the project and size of the project.
Permit is issued for a valid date and even if you do not begin the construction before the expiring date, you will need to apply for a new permit. For a new room addition, you will need to get permits from your city or country building department before you begin. Your contractors need to connect the electrical system back to the main system in the main system in the house, and if the addition includes a bathroom, the contractor will also need to connect the plumbing, electrical system.
IMPORTANCE OF OBTAINING A PERMIT
- Permit ensures oversight of your contractor’s work.
- Permit helps you avoid unnecessary disturbance in future from building officials when they request for the work up to permit standard which could legally lead to disclose that you have remodeled without a permit.
- Selling the house in future will be less stressful because the buyer could demand you bring work up to code.
PROCESS OF OBTAINING A PERMIT
The process of obtaining a permit for room addition by contractors and house owner varies slightly depending on location, and governing authorities. Most house owners are completely lost when it comes to obtaining permit for additional room. The process of obtaining permit in all includes;
- Taking a room additional permit online.
- Submitting your request with proof of ownership of the house.
- Paying the applicable upfront fee.
- Waiting for building department approval.
- Final inspections or certificate of Occupancy.
COST OF PERMITS
The cost of a permit for a room addition varies based on the size of the room. You will need to know the cost of the electrical permit, plumbing if you are adding a bathroom, and other permits needed. If you have no clue on where to begin on the permit matter, you can ask the contractor to help and give you advice on how to obtain your permits or you may allow the contractor take care of the permit for you and add the cost of the permit to his bill. They will make it easy and stress free for you so you can use their service next time.